- I mentioned this last week, and … you know what? I’m going to actually go so far as to quote myself verbatim: “The spark of Santana Moss punt returns is seriously dampened when they’re all accompanied by penalties….” Today? It’s an illegal block by Kareem Moore negating a 31 yard return.
- It is remarkable how fired up and fresh the defense looks as they come out of the tunnel for the second half. Partially, it’s having a few guys back — Chris Horton and Marcus Washington both ran out onto the field at speed, which was great to see — but I’m sure it’s also partially that the offense is helping keep them off the field.
- Well, it initially looked like I’d be starting this quarter out talking about how the Skins had built up some momentum, how Clinton Portis was starting to find a little running room, and other good things like that. Then the screen to Santana Moss got stuffed on third and 4, and Coach Zorn made the completely inexplicable decision to attempt a 54 yard field goal. Shaun Suisham started the season with a strong leg, but he’s been having a rough time lately, and this makes very little sense to me. Maybe after seeing the opening kickoff sail out the back of the end zone, Zorn assumed that Suisham is kicking with the wind at his back, but … that’s questionable logic at best.
- When I arrived at the stadium today, it was mild. Balmy, even. I brought my jacket, because the weather report was bad, but it was too warm to even consider wearing it. That was four or five hours ago, and things have changed since. Down on the field, the air is cold and the wind is colder — and it’s a strong wind, one that had the flags snapping and popping during the anthem. Something to watch during punts, kicks, and long passes.
The Redskins are wearing burgundy jerseys and white pants. Santana Moss, Clinton Portis, and Shawn Springs as usual, are wearing shoes with yellow trim. Devin Thomas is wearing yellow compression sleeves. And everyone is wearing a black 33 sticker on their helmets in memory of Sammy Baugh.
Well, after a week in which I noted that Ryan Boschetti was one of the most fired-up guys in practice, he’s inactive today. But I bet he’ll be very, very fired up on the sidelines. Other than that, Malcolm Kelly is down and Fred Davis is active, and Kedric Golston has apparently not fully recovered from his injury after all. Here’s the Redskins’ list.
- 5 Colt Brennan – emergency third QB
- 12 Malcolm Kelly – WR
- 63 Will Montgomery – OL
- 64 Kedric Golston – DT
- 73 Ryan Boschetti – DT
- 76 Jon Jansen – OL
- 78 D’Anthony Batiste – OL
- 98 Rob Jackson – DE
Anthony Montgomery starts for Griffin, and as Greg Blache indicated, DeAngelo Hall starts for Carlos Rogers again.
UPDATED to add the Eagles inactives:
- 14 A.J. Feely – emergency third QB
- 25 Lorenzo Booker – RB
- 51 Joe Mays – LB
- 63 Bryan Smith – DE
- 64 Chris Patrick – T
- 73 Shawn Andrews – OL
- 80 Kevin Curtis – WR
- 84 Hank Baskett – WR
Not a lot to love today. The team’s been down, the playoff hopes are dim (but not extinguished, at least not as I type this just before the 1:00 kickoffs), and the weather is supposed to turn wickedly cold and windy. Frankly, it’s a pretty grim point in the season.
So here’s one small gameday ritual that’s probably making a few people at least a little happier right about now: donuts. Specifically, donuts that offensive quality coach Bill Khayat has his friend bring down from Maple Donuts in York, Pennsylvania at every home game. They don’t make up for the disappointments of the season, of course, but they’re pretty darned good.