- Annnnnnnnd … so much for that. The Redskins promising drive stalls completely, and Ryan Plackemeier‘s punt goes into the end zone for a touchback. Plackemeier is not having a good day, although his coverage guys aren’t helping him out much either. This gives me a bad feeling — it sure seemed like the team needed to do something with that momentum to shake out of that early-game malaise.
- Again, holding the Giants to a field goal seems like an inordinate success. The score is 13-0, and it feels like it could easily have been 21-0 or even worse. Yet again, the Redskins defense is quietly — without many big plays — doing a terrific job.
- Well, someone must’ve been even more annoyed by those guys banging onto the press box glass than I was: security just escorted them from their seats. Now all these people in the front row are going to go un-screamed at.
- I’ve been noticing good things about Devin Thomas all week in practice (even aside from the bizarre Mortal Kombat locker room displays), and that 29 yard end around for the touchdown is exactly the sort of thing I’m talking about. He comes off oddly at times, but he really does put forth some effort, and no one has ever disputed that he’s got crazy athletic ability. That was great to see — and now, somehow, it’s a six point game.
- Did I bemoan the lack of big defensive plays? DeAngelo Hall picks off his second pass as a Redskin, and if they can put a drive together for a touchdown, they can (ridiculously enough) take the lead.
- Or not. Another stalled drive, another punt for a touchback. It’s frustrating — you can see what Plackemeier’s trying to do, but it’s just not happening. The crowd is getting frustrated with it as well.
- Another play for the defense that doesn’t look flashy, but could loom large: stuffing Eli Manning on a QB sneak on fourth-and-1 to get the ball back. It all falls apart when Shaun Suisham misses a 42 yard field goal wide right, but for a minute there it looked like the lead at halftime might unbelievably be only three. Special teams are not helping the Redskins out much today at all.