- Well, let’s hope I was wrong about the part where I called the first Redskins possession of the fourth quarter “an absolute must-score,” because that’s not precisely how it played out — instead, three-and-out (plus a penalty) and punt. Decent punt by Ryan Plackemeier, but that’s very little consolation at this point.
- And then yet another play that’s representative of the way the day’s gone, as Eli Manning escapes a sack and runs nearly for a first down. The Redskins are having trouble closing the deal in just about every phase of the game.
- The pass protection for Jason Campbell has really come apart again. The first two plays in this Redskins drive aren’t going to show up as sacks for the Giants — scrambles of 1 and 0 yards instead — but they really should. He has been harried for much of the game, and it doesn’t look like they’re finding an adjustment to help.
- That said, the handoff to Clinton Portis on fourth-and-1 didn’t seem like the right call either, and not only because of the way it turned out. Coach Zorn’s best results on fourth down have come when he’s done the unexpected, and it looked like everyone on the field knew what was coming there. I rarely find myself thinking that a game is over with time left — I’m more the “no, wait, they could score, go for two, recover an onsides kick, score, etc.” type — but I really don’t see any way the team can come back and win this one at all.
- Apparently, the fans at the stadium didn’t fully agree with that assessment. They stuck around through the short Giants drive, and waited until the 39 yard field goal went through before getting up to leave en masse. I guess a 16 point lead looks substantially more insurmountable than a 13 point lead.
- Coach Zorn hasn’t given up yet, though, as he’s burning timeouts right down to the wire. It’s an exercise in futility for everything besides making Jason Campbell the leading rusher on the team, five carries for 38 yards. Aside from that, and a Giants fumble recovery on the final play of the game that might affect some fantasy football teams, very little seemed to be accomplished with that last drive. A dreary game to match the dreary day.