As promised, current word is that the first-team offense really is going to start. There are few minor exceptions — Stephon Heyer in place of Jon Jansen, James Thrash in place of Antwaan Randle El, and Marcus Mason in place of Clinton Portis — but it’s pretty straightforward.
The defensive scratches, however, are giving executive director of communications Zack Bolno fits, as the media has to keep asking him to repeat them over and over. He’s tried reading them as “[name] replaced by [name],” listing the guys who are out, listing the guys who are in, and reading it as “[number] replaced by [number],” and there are still people asking him to repeat it.
Here’s the list, just so you know (but try to imagine following this list read aloud in a crowded room of other people trying to listen also):
- Rob Jackson at DE in place of Jason Taylor.
- Anthony Montgomery at DT in place of Cornelius Griffin.
- Demetric Evans at DE in place of Andre Carter.
- Alfred Fincher at LB in place of Marcus Washington.
- H.B. Blades at LB in place of London Fletcher.
- Curtis Gatewood at LB in place of Rocky McIntosh.
- Matterral Richardson at CB in place of Carlos Rogers.
- Justin Tryon at CB in place of Shawn Springs.
- Chris Horton at S in place of LaRon Landry.
In case you lost track as well, that means that the only defensive starters who ARE in are Kedric Golston and Reed Doughty.